Monday, February 6, 2023

Cloud Drama

 

Storm Clouds Roll Over The City

I'm a sucker for dramatic skies. I always want the window seat on airplanes so I can ogle and photograph the clouds. It's hard to believe these clouds were howling and boiling overhead just yesterday, drenching us with downpours and exciting us with hailstones. Today I drove out to Woodbridge Ecological Reserve to observe the sandhill cranes before they and their friends the snow geese head north, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. 

Once again (yesterday, that is) I'd hoped to catch a rainbow arching over the Golden Gate, the Marin Headlands, and Mt. Tamalpais, but no such luck. During a break in the storm I biked down to Ocean Beach just to be out in the wind and sunshine. Boy, the Giant Camera sure has taken a beating this year. The observation deck is open again, and I enjoyed watching the scintillating silvery sea swells, though I had to squint to keep from burning my eyes out.

I'd already decided not to go back to Grandview Park to try again for a rainbow in the late afternoon since photographing another cityscape doesn't inspire me that much. Instead I kicked back on the couch and continued re-reading my book, The Vital Question, by the biochemist Nick Lane. Excellent stuff. Meanwhile my wife was on the other couch scrolling on her phone when she noticed some of the neighbors out on their balcony, way up the hill. It's pretty rare that we see anyone actually use their balconies, and when they started pointing and taking pictures, my wife said, "I'll bet there's a rainbow!" I bookmarked Nick Lane and we rushed to our back window, and sure enough, there was a pretty decent rainbow. We could see it from our back window, but I grabbed my FZ80 and went outside to snap a photo.

Looks like we've got lots of sunshine forecast for the rest of the week, which is great, but I can't help hoping that February has more rain in store.


Light in the North


Yikes


Liquid Light


Swell Dance


It looked like the tail end, but there was more to come.


Rainbow Over Mt. Sutro

* * *