Friday, June 21, 2024

Coot-Foot Tree

 

Red-Tailed Hawks, Golden Gate Park

I've been noticing some unusual leaves on the sidewalk during my morning walks lately, and today I decided to try to find out what they are. The leaves are striking because they look a bit like coot feet! (I'm pretty sure I have a picture of coot feet somewhere in my files, but I can't find it, hence the link to Audubon.)

I had little hope of making an ID since there are no flowers on the trees at this time, but I was pleasantly surprised to get a 94% match on the leaves alone, using PlantNet. My "coot-foot tree" is actually called Catalina ironwood (Lyonothamnus floribundus), a California native endemic to the Channel Islands and liberally planted along the streets of San Francisco.

On a bike ride after my walk I checked the Murphy Windmill for red-tailed hawks, but drew a blank. A little farther along, though, I noticed two red-tails on the same tree where I recently photographed a red-tail devouring its prey.


Coot-Foot Tree


Coot-Foot Leaf


Coot-Foot Flowers
(7/12/2024)


Dahlia in the Fog, Garden for the Environment


Emerging Sunflower, Golden Gate Park


The two hawks were busy preening and didn't seem bothered at all by my presence.


One of the hawks managed to pull out one of its own feathers.


The feather floated down to me, coming so close that I only had to take two steps to catch it. 


Here's a somewhat shaky hand-held video clip of the two red-tails. I forgot that the camera was still set on slo-mo, so the shakiness isn't as annoying as it might have been. The hawk on the right was opening its beak in a way that looked like it was calling out, but in fact it wasn't making a sound.


* * *