Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Young Hunter

 

Young Red-Tailed Hawk, Golden Gate Park

The clouds this morning were so wild-looking. I wished I'd gotten out of bed early enough to catch the sunrise. Remnants of monsoonal weather, I guess. There's even a 20 percent chance of rain and thunderstorms in the forecast for San Francisco. I brought the FZ80 on my bike ride in case the clouds still looked interesting from the beach, but there was too much fog mixed in. I might have felt two rain drops during the whole ride.

On the way home I saw this juvenile red-tail fly into a tree, apparently gripping something small in its talons. I couldn't tell if the hawk actually had anything until it began to consume it. The images aren't detailed enough for me to tell for sure what its prey was. It rested on one leg for less than a minute as it cast its hawkeye about for its next meal, then leaped off its branch and flew out of sight.


I can't tell if the prey is a mouse or a bird.







* * *