Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Smoke on the Water

 

A layer of wildfire smoke drifts over the Golden Gate at sunset, with Mt. Tamalpais in the distance.

Heading out on my walk Tuesday morning I could see a huge, intact layer of wildfire smoke hanging over the Pacific Ocean and running parallel to the coast. Although I had my phone camera with me, it didn't look very photo-worthy from my vantage point. But I pictured the sun setting behind it and planned to head up to Grandview Park in the evening. 

What I didn't account for was the changing wind. Long before our planet spun us out of sight of its nearest star, the smoke had all blown inland, except for a band that was now perpendicular to the coast and moving like fog through the Golden Gate.

Even though the offshore smoke was gone, I still took a walk over to the park at sunset, bringing the FZ80. I had a fair amount of company despite the chilly wind. The sun descended well north of where it did when I last went up there for sunset, but with solstice arriving tomorrow, it'll soon be headed back south.

We woke up this morning to very subdued light and thought the smoke must have become awful overnight, but it was fog, not smoke, that lurked behind the curtain. The Purple Air map shows pretty good air quality throughout the Bay Area this morning, and even surprisingly up around the Point Fire, which Cal Fire reported at 50 percent containment as of late last night.


City Layers


Sunset Over Seal Rocks


Mt. Tam Dressed In Smoky Haze


This last puddle of light lasted a surprisingly long time (I would guess a couple of minutes).


Sunset view from Grandview Park.


Cloud Feather

* * *