Sunday, June 23, 2024

Rhymes with Honolulu

 

Waikiki Beach Web Cam Snip

I've been reading Dust, The Modern World In A Trillion Particles, by Jay Owens, and am in the chapter about the draining of what once was the fourth largest lake in the world, the Aral Sea. Previous chapters have been about the American Dust Bowl and even the draining of Owens Lake here in California. All the stories are about civilization's withdrawals greatly exceeding its deposits in the Bank of Nature.

Reading the news this morning were more stories about increasing animus against immigration, and even about the simmering specter of nuclear war, both of which felt, at least in part, like climate change issues. As countries face increasingly limited resources such as fresh water and arable soil, it's not clear how we're going to avoid having to squeeze through terrifying bottlenecks of our own creation.

When the resources we depend on for our economies and our food production run out, when all of us feel the pressure to immigrate, will our last hope be to blast off in rockets to Mars? It's impossible for me to imagine a world where living on Mars would be preferable to living on Earth.

At that point I was ready for some diversion, so I opened up a tab on Windy.com and looked at webcam images from around the world (the parts in daylight, that is). Two of my favorite images turned out to remind me of a Bob Dylan song called You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go. One picture shows a place that brings back fond memories, and the other shows the most wild-looking sky of any other webcam I saw this morning.


Ashtabula, Ohio Web Cam Snip


I'll look for you in old Honolulu,

San Francisco, Ashtabula,

You're gonna have to leave me now, I know

But I'll seee you in the sky above

In the tall grass, in the ones I love,

You're gonna make me lonesome when you go.

--Bob Dylan


* * *