Saturday, June 22, 2024

Dandelion Variations

 

Dandelion Puff

I forgot to check the web cams before I left this morning. After booting up the computer while eating a quick breakfast bagel I got sidetracked by a New York Times mini-profile of Sean Penn. One thing that struck me was how he waved off the gods of trauma while sitting comfortably with the gods of dissipation (quoting Bukowski, "Find what you love and let it kill you."). By the time I finished reading, my appreciation for Penn had gone up, but it was time to go. I rushed off having forgotten to make sure it was as foggy on Mt. Tam today as it was yesterday.

I'd hoped to score some brocken specter up there, but it was not to be. The fog was already dissipating as I reached the Robin Williams Tunnel. I thought I might find something else to inspire my photography-bones up there, but it wasn't happening. I felt like I'd rather being out on a bike ride. After playing around with a dandelion puff for a little while, I hiked back to the car, stopping briefly to watch a few chittering California quail move along the forest edge, and a baby Steller's jay that fluttered in ecstasy and desperation as an adult came to feed it, then headed home.


Waiting for the Wind


This is the first shot, by itself...


...in the focus stack that made this shot. As often happens, I liked both versions. (I also like an older shot that focuses on the seeds at the center of the puff.)

* * *