Monday, June 17, 2024

Grandview Park

 

Sunday Morning View Toward Mt. Tamalpais

I probably think about how lucky I am to live here in the Bay Area at least once a day. And even though that includes the gray days when the winds are squeezing tendrils of chilling fog into my bones, I admit to especially favoring these rare days of sparkling clarity. It wasn't clear enough to see Chimney Rock at Pt. Reyes, or even the Farallons, on Sunday, but I felt like I could almost see deer browsing on Mt. Tam's grassy, brown hilltops. Today, wildfire smoke from up near Healdsburg could turn yesterday's clarity into a memory. But even so, I know those deer are still there, waiting to be revealed, always.


As I took in the view I also watched a pair of white-crowned sparrows feeding on the red sheep sorrel while bumblebees gathered pollen and nectar on nearby buckwheat.


Bumblebees were also all over the purple bush lupines.


The bush lupines are nice, but the little orange monkey flower made my day. The Parks Department has done a really nice job of saving a little bit of native wildness in Grandview Park.


A little south of Grandview, one of my favorite roadside gardens is currently in excellent form.


Lavender and friends.

* * *