Friday, September 27, 2024

Day in the Sun

 

A Gathering of Gulls, Ocean Beach

My inbox had yet another migration alert from BirdCast today, but it's a national alert, not the local info I thought I'd signed up for. It seemed like I hardly saw any birds on either my walk or bike ride today, although there was a highlight at North Lake where I saw a small moth or skipper chasing a hummingbird. I guess they both wanted the same nectar-bearing flowers.

As I biked past Metson Lake today I couldn't help saying "Oh, no!" when I saw that the fallen cypress tree had been cut up. I first noticed the treefall on February 3, 2023, after a storm. At first I thought of it as an eyesore, but eventually it became wildlife habitat. Ducks, turtles, a kingfisher, great blue herons, cormorants, and even black-crowned night herons hunted from and rested among its branches.


Photographer, Gulls, Sailboat


The gulls were not easily spooked today, except by dogs.


The Metson Lake Cypress: Habitat Lost


Back yard squirrel foraging among lilly pilly leaves.

* * *