Thursday, September 5, 2024

Nuthatch Country

 

Pygmy Nuthatch & Redflower Gum, Strybing Arboretum

The redflower gum tree just past the entrance kiosk was busy with birdlife when I arrived around 9:30 this morning. I'd never seen nuthatches working eucalyptus  flowers before. There were also orange-crowned warblers and downy woodpeckers enjoying the brightly colored bounty.

Heading toward the California Garden I stopped near the small lily pond when I heard splashing in the water. I half-expected to see a raccoon pass by, but the culprit soon emerged -- a red-shouldered hawk that had been having a bath.


Nuthatch In Profile


Nuthatch Stretch


Orange-crowned Warbler


O.C. Warbler in Profile


Downy Woodpecker Feeding on Gum Flowers


Downy About to Fly Away


California Towhee


Song Sparrow


Dark-eyed Junco


Freshly Bathed Red Shouldered Hawk


The hawk flew into some tree branches to preen...


...and had to keep moving to lose a pesky photographer.


The monarch butterfly was tantalizingly close to a patch of milkweed plants in the California Garden. I searched the plants for caterpillars as I always do, and as always I didn't find any.


Numerous hummingbirds were probably the most vocal and active birds in the whole garden. All I saw were Anna's.


Black Phoebe in Shade


Black Phoebe in Sunshine


Western Flycatcher


Chestnut-backed Chickadee


Dark-eyed Junco


Now that I'm reminded of scrub jays, I take back what I said about the hummers being the most vocal. Let's call it a tie.

* * *