Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Redflower Gum

 

Redflower Gum (Corymbia ficifolia)

I thought about photographing this tree when I saw it in bloom last week, but dense fog subdued the scene. I hoped for a better chance, and this morning I found it while the sun was poking through the fog and lighting up the bright red flowers. The matching car was a nice bonus.

Later on my walk through West Portal I saw other red-flowered eucalyptus trees in bloom, but the flowers were quite different. Those were crimson bottlebrush (Malaleuca citrina). 

Things were very different at the beach today, with a strong wind charging out of the northwest. I boosted the power on my e-bike as I rode into it, then switched off the battery on the return trip, propelled by tail winds. 


Sutro Rock gets pummeled by wind-driven swells, with Mt. Tamalpais in the distance and the Liberian-flagged crude oil tanker Aqualeader heading out from Benicia toward its next stop in Panama.


Willet Gets A Sunbeam
(I'd assumed this was another wandering tattler, but now I'm going with willet.) 


Pelicans Flying With The Wind


Pelicans Flying Against The Wind


This kiteboarder had the whole surf zone off Ocean Beach to himself.

* * *