Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Riding the Wind

 

Brown Pelicans Flying Into The Wind

I had the unusual sensation of feeling a little groggy again during my walk this morning, but I think I figured out what's going on. I believe the reason is that I haven't been wearing my glasses on my walks. My vision is okay enough to walk around, but I need glasses to drive, and without them the world is just a tad fuzzy (my prescription is basically 1.5-diopter reading glasses). The grogginess seemed to coincide with my decision to walk glasses-free, and sure enough when I put them on part-way through today's walk, I brightened right up.

Weird, right? Seeing the world a little bit fuzzy makes my mind a little bit fuzzy! Actually, I love that kind of weirdness, and I was determined to keep walking without wearing glasses, so I put them back in my pocket and continued in a state of semi-fuzziness.

I put the glasses back on for the bike ride, though. Too dangerous to ride fuzzy, and too beautiful a day to settle for soft-focus. [UPDATE: The very next day I read an article about vision loss leading to dementia. Time to get more comfortable glasses for my walks!]

Many brown pelicans were flying along the coast. I'd forgotten that brown pelicans were headed toward extinction back in the '70s due to DDT poisoning, and finally recovered enough to be taken off the endangered speciest list in 2009. I was treated to some close fly-bys as I watched several squadrons wing past the Cliff House today. They were slowed down a little by strong headwinds, which allowed for an excellent view of these awesome birds.


Surf Scoters


The sea lions were boisterously barking today. I don't always notice them making noise out there.


Low Altitude Drift

* * *